Thursday, December 13, 2007

Trying to lift this blog to a next level

This will be my non poker internet challenge for next year. I already have taken a head start with the redesign of my blog. It is funny to see that after 8 months I'm back with the original template. I altered a little bit with the help of Mair, who created my banner. At the moment I'm really satisfied with the lay-out.

There are if I calculated correctly a quadzillion poker related blogs out there. The one better than the other. So to be realistic the competition is murdering. Why do I think that my blog has a reason of existence? Besides the fact that it is my ventilation place and some kind of a poker diary there is none. But than something like prides kicks in. Stupid pride. I hate u!

The biggest problem for me, besides decent poker results, is content!
If you are a good respected poker player it is not hard to make a blog with thousand of visitors each month. But what to do when you are not so good in playing poker, nor a great writer?
So, I have to increase my writing skills and not by a little bit. A colleague of mine is currently on a working trip to China and wrote such a great, funny, interesting email about his experiences there, incredible. He should create a blog and I will try to convince him.

At the moment this blog is attracting around 500 visitors each month. If you are reading this you are one of them, thx! My aim is to lift this to 750 to 1000 visitors each month. And with visitors I mean real visitors. It is easy to achieve this by using a site like blogexplosion where people have to browse trough all the listed blog to build up credit so that the site will show their blogs to others. You can see it like a pyramid game. Ok, it is traffic but not quality traffic. And yes I admit I have done this in the beginning of the blog to get exposure (but not many people using thes type of sites are interested in the thrilling game of poker!!). Still use it once in a while when doing a blog challenge. Simple 2 blogs are compared with each other by 15 members and the one with the most votes wins.

But there is improvement. Google are showing my blog more and more often than the previous months. At the moment around 20% of my visits are brought by search engines, which is a good %. The most traffic comes via the linked list of other blogs. But for me it is hard to build this. For me it feels like spamming other blog, with a comment like: please add me to your like list. While on the other hand if somebody leaves a comment like this on my miserable blog I feel honored.

I'm trying to write my own SNG guide. I hope it will be finished by the end of this year.

If you, yes you, who had the guts, nerves and patience to read this complete post have any ideas how I can lift this blog to a new level, don't hesitate to let me know!

Good luck at the tables,
Dremeber

5 reacties:

Anonymous said...

it;'s looking very good mate.

It is hard not to write about the same things all the time, but you just have to stick at it.

good luck

BM
www.burnleymik.ukpokerscene.co.uk

Wildcat said...

Hi!

Many thanks for the congrats about my win yesterday, I'm well pleased!

Some advice for you, not sure if you are aware, but Hills do double your money stts now, just need to finish top 5 in a 10 seater, easy as that. And yes it is easy ;) For someone like you who finishes itm often, it must be worth a go, surely, as they start at $5.50, the same as you are currently playing. Let me know if you are interested, and maybe you could sign up through me ;)


Ps linked you up, could you do the same? http://call-of-the-wildcat.blogspot.com/

All the best.

Anonymous said...

An pokerblog from a fish who doesn't know shit about playing poker will never be a big hit. Or correction, i might be a big hit but for the wrong reasons...

Learn to beat SnG's before writing about them. From your post i clearly see you know nothing about them. Looking forward to your sng-guide though ;-).

The 80th Minute said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

The 80th Minute said...

Wow, hard comment!
I admit that I don't know it all and for sure I don't have a system which kills these SNGs. But knowing nothing about them was a comment I did not expected.
Kind of a compliment cause it would place me in a section called: subconscious competent (onbewust onbekwaam).

Also did not expect such a comment from a fellow countrymen and Limburger. But thx for the honesty!